Tuesday, November 29, 2005

How to get an interview at the Suffolk County D.A.'s office

At this point, I want to be a D.A. more than just about anything.

I know it doesn't fit the traditional social justice/public interest model, but I've come to believe that good (and by "good," I mean "fair") prosecutors are more essential to the proper functioning of our criminal justice system than good defense attorneys.

Forgot to mention earlier that I've scored an interview at the Suffolk County D.A.'s office. I did this by:

1) Sending in my resume, cover letter, transcript, etc. in a timely manner.
2) Calling every couple of weeks to see if they had it on file yet.
3) Having the good fortune of having them somehow lose my application.
4) Calling again to let them know I'd passed the bar and to ask if they'd found my resume yet.

I was given an impromptu screening on the phone ("Where'd you go to school?", "How'd you do?") and was scheduled for an interview for January. I think I'm very fortunate. Even though it's traditionally paid pretty terribly--they finally just got a $10K raise this year--this is one of the more competitive law jobs in Boston for those of us who aren't interested in or immediately qualified to work for large firms. Word is that there are more openings this year, but I'm also told that over 700 people applied for 27 spots last year. So.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

That's funny...I clearly remember you telling me that you'd never become a prosecutor because they were, well, "evil." Something change your mind? Or are you planning to be the exception?

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home