Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Glengarry Glenn Boston

"These are the new leads. These are the Glengarry leads. To you, these are gold; you do not get these. Because to give them to you would be throwing them away."

That would be Alec Baldwin talking down to Jack Lemmon (mastering the role of Shelley "The Machine" Levine later lovingly immortalized as "Gil" in The Simpsons) and his shabby crew of swampland salesmen in the outstanding mid-90s film adaptation of Mamet's Glengarry Glenn Ross. It's also the subtext I seem to get every time I call into my favorite (as yet useless) legal temp agency.

OK, not entirely fair. I know I'm not at the bar yet, and that I don't have the proper paralegal experience, and that there are just too many people in my situation right now. But still. There has to be something out there for a guy who can type 85 WPM and looks sharp in pinstripes. End of whine. Something more useful tomorrow, maybe.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just discovered your blawg today, and have been amused. I'm a year ahead of you and jumped all over the first (very small) firm to offer me a job (out of state!) the summer I took the bar. Anyway, with a year of low-paid experience under my belt I'm itching to get out of this gig - but am running into the same problems you are - except I do have that one year. I wish I could say it was easier! I do have a pal who left the Hills a lovely Southern State to go to DC, not knowing a soul, no bar, and no job. She found a small friendly firm and pretty much worked full time for two weeks for free and showed them she was good and then told them she really needed to get paid, and they hired her before her bar results.

11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home