Monday, October 31, 2005

Something completely different.

After finishing law school and sitting for the bar, most people assume that they're going to become lawyers, and feel obligated to restrict their job search to the legal market. Recognizing the reality of the market here, however, an express piece of my strategy for getting work for the coming year has been watching out for opportunities that didn't have anything to do with being a lawyer at all. Just because I now hold a J.D. and (presumptively) a license to practice law in the Bay State doesn't mean that I'm not still (somewhat) trained and experienced as an editor, a PC technician, and (just barely) a dinner-jazz-worthy trio pianist. So I've also been sending out resumes throughout the last few months to particularly interesting jobs in other fields that I might be qualified for, just to see what I might be able to get.

One of those feelers came back in a very surprising way today when I got an email asking me to call in to schedule an interview for an editorial position at a major Boston-based international weekly publication. A publication that you, dear reader, have almost certainly heard of, even if--like myself--you've only read about its articles rather than bothered to read them at the source. A publication that has nothing to do with the law whatsoever. (Although a quick Wiki search reveals that the one and only Oliver Wendall Holmes was published in it in the '20s. For some reason.)

I tell you all of this only because it got me thinking a lot today in a direction that I believe is representative of an increasingly common dilemma for American law school graduates. Here's the short version:

Many people enter law school with no intention of ever practicing the law at all. I used to think I was one of those people; I still may be. This is not at all an irresponsible attitude, given the realities of our country right now: law degrees have always been a basic foundation for political careers, and (for whatever reason) are now also being seen more and more as little more than advanced business degrees. Although this country is desperate for qualified teachers, nurses, and research scientists, Americans are abandoning these professions and rushing to law school in record numbers. For the moment, it seems that demand has not kept up with the unending supply. There are too many of us. Which is why I see nothing wrong in falling back on other strengths for the moment.

I love the law, at least in an academic sense. But I also love the writing and editing process. I like to make bad writing good, and good writing better. It's one of the many areas of my life where I have more than a touch of OCD--only one reason I find the whole thing so immensely satisfying--and it's mostly paid off so far. So why not just do something I (think) I love? Why whine for paragraphs at a time about rather than just being excited for the opportunity to interview for an entry-level job at an important, prestigious, name-brand international publication?

The answer has something to do with what economists call the "sunk-cost" phenomenon. It's the sort of guilt that comes with having spent three years earning a degree in one subject only to turn around and take a job doing something else. If I were to take something like this, I think it would be with the assumption that I'd be looking for legal work next year... but that would still be giving up a year of legal experience.

Any thoughts?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There needs to be a distinction in this blog between good lawyers and mediocre lawyers. A good attorney has to have a passion for what he or she is doing. While attending law school, I found it quite depressing that so many people attended law school without any appreciation, nevermind passion, for the law.

What seems to be underlying the message of the post is that you might have a passion for something else. In my opinion, you would be doing the legal field justice by following your passion. In fact, many lawyers could do the legal field justice by retiring and doing something they truly are passionate about.

Just a thought.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

I'm not sure why the distinction between good lawyers and mediocre lawyers has relevance to your comment about trying something completely different. For many people, an attorney (good luck on Bar results, by the way) taking a position outside of law likely raises the question "Why?"

The answer, I believe, is your passion. "Passion," by the way, is not necessarily restricted to one solitary activity, and the last time I checked the practice of law has an awful lot to do with writing and editing.

My guess is that this "important, prestigious, name-brand international publication," as you describe it, also has a legal department or at least some contact with an attorney or firm who advises the publication on any number of issues.

The point is, if this editorial position is something you'd truly enjoy, you should go for it. Then keep up with your continuing education requirements, areas of law you have an interest in, and explore the organization for what may be a more "law-related" position or for people you can talk to in order to help you pursue a career in the law, if that's where your passions lead you.

In my opinion, passion is not required to be a "good" attorney. Strangely, however, skill at writing and editing certainly is. A passionate editor sounds much better than a miserable attorney, whether that attorney is good or mediocre.

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree with the first post. Passion, for lack of a better word, certainly is required to become a good attorney because it is exaclty that which drives someone to set higher standards to achieve. Sure, there are attorneys out there who are would be considered very capable, however, true potential will not be reached if their approach lacks those qualities which allow for advancement. Unfortunately, enjoying law school is not enough because the actual practice of law has nothing to do with law school. There are far too many lawyers in this country and, unfortunately, many of them should not be practicing law because they chose to approach it in such a nonchalant way that they become a disservice to the profession. If you have any doubts as to becoming an attorney, now is the time to explore them and make a decision.

7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home