Monday, February 13, 2006

¡Entrevistas!

I know I've been slacking on this topic, so let's compare and contrast some recent experiences, shall we?

INTERVIEW #1: WE KNOW WHAT YOU WANT

First take: I think half the interview was testing my ability to meet the guy in his Quincy office (although the job, happily enough, is in Boston) at 8:30 on a Saturday morning. So I guess I passed that part.

Basically: Interesting small firm with a strong reputation, a former MA AG on the letterhead, and a lot of government business.

But: Hints of dissent among the ranks. Long explanation of compensation structure. (Which is positive, I guess? Never had this happen before.) Interviewer almost totally unable to make eye contact with me, despite my recent ability to overcome my own overwhelming aversion to same for convenient one-hour increments as needed.

Left it with:
Request for a writing sample. Strong possibility that they would try me out by having me work on some federal briefs. Hint that interviewer was the only partner strongly in favor of taking on new and untested talent.

Final impression: Cautious optimism. Also, tired. So very tired.


INTERVIEW #2: WE KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE


First take: Founder invented Digital Angel, the controversial tracking chip that is powered by the human bloodstream, can broadcast any amount of information within certain given parameters--age, race, exact location, current heartrate, favorite Star Trek episode, etc.--to orbital satellites, and really pretty much exactly fits every speculation about how the Mark of the Beast (go ask Kirk Cameron, kids; I don't have time for this just now) is supposed to operate. So that's, y'know, kind of sexy.

Basically: Small firm with a very attractive Cambridge office and a steady stream of unexceptional cases. Plenty of court time, and a lot of experience to be gained immediately.

But: Cambridge office is tiny, with only two other attorneys. I only met my interviewer, and liked him immediately, but this could still be a problem. Also, no billables, which is great in that my life wouldn't be reduced to fifteen-minute increments, but may not bode well for general quality of cases handled.

Left it with: Quick office tour, some good-natured Digital Angel jokes, and strong callback possibilities.

Final impression: Fully expecting a callback, and wouldn't be surprised at an offer. Good place to gain a lot of experience very quickly for anywhere up to a year.

So there you go. Probably telling more than I should, but I know that these are just the kinds of details that keep you coming back. Both of you.

1 Comments:

Blogger kevinfreitas said...

Consider my nails bitten. Oh, I'll be back.

Did you employ this foreign "eye contact" technique to ensnare that special someone you've mentioned?

1:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home