Thursday, October 20, 2005

A friendly rebuttal.

Something about this blog seems to bring out the anonymous cranks. I can't really let it all go unanswered, so a couple of quick replies:

Extracurricular activities are for high school and college, not graduate school.

Well, maybe. But those of us who didn't make law review have to find some other way to distinguish ourselves while in law school; something that says we're a little different. (This doesn't include getting through a couple of rounds in moot court or the various professional organizations you're supposed to join. I did all that. I'm talking about something unique.) I came to law school from a very creative background, and wanted to keep some of that going while my brain was in the process of being reformatted by The Law. I happen to think that it reflects well on my work ethic and problem-solving abilities that I was able to organize and direct a full-length theater production (including a full set, lighting, props, costumes, and sound) during my best academic semester. Of course it was a frivolous waste of time. But I work best under pressure, and the fact that I could really succeed in both endeavours at the same time should say something to somebody. You're welcome to disagree.

Yet, I am gainfully employed while you are not simply because I chose to exercise foresight.

That's pretty much impossible to prove, although you're welcome to try. "Foresight" (whatever that is, really) is only one of many factors that can get people employed in Boston. But for now: okay, you've got a point. I certainly could have planned things out a little better: I went to a law school located in a region (namely Newark, New Jersey) that I had virtually no interest in settling down in. Moving to Boston was kind of a last minute thing, and my school has virtually no connections here. My past legal experience was in Maryland, Newark, and London, and my past professional experience was in Tacoma, WA. The take-home message here: Unless you went to a top-ten school, the legal profession does not kindly reward itinerants.

Anyone who believed their degree results in automatic employment probably should not even practice law.

Couldn't agree more. That was actually supposed to be the thesis of this ongoing cautionary tale, and I'll be developing it more in the next few days.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You still can't let go of that assumption Matt. I didn't go to a top ten school, I didn't participate in moot court. In fact, I didn't participate in any organization whatsoever. Maintaining creativity is certainly worth while, however, you cannot be surprised when you compromise time necessary for one goal to simply achieve another. Life is a series of choices that sometimes require sacrifice. You cannot look to blame a profession if you created the circumstances in which you find yourself now.

11:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't really consider our dialogue aggressively personal, nevertheless, I work in a family law firm located in Central Jersey. I have difficulty understanding how you can blame the profession as to people's conceptions. Making six figures is possible if you don't mind working for it. A lot of people have problems with sacrificing the required time to earn that kind of money - each to his own. There was nothing wrong with your decision to go about your career the way you went about it. But I do find your narrative and commentary to be a bit one sided. At some point, responsibility has to be taken for the situation.

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After reading this exchange, its easy for High and Mighty, Esq. to launch an offensive on those not as fortunate as he is to be so envisioned as to see into the future. However, he does have a good point. Your life is what you make of it. Don't let the tough job market get to you. Take control of it. Volunteer for any law office and they would take you. Everyone loves a little free work. Get that experience in your area. Stop toying with the Central Jersey Law Community College Graduate from and donate your time to a worthy cause. Do 4 hours a day of volunteer work, build up some contacts (future clients and collegaues) and in a couple months you'll be set.

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great, another soon to be public interest attorney who is high on principles and low on cash and then likes to bitch about it. Great advice - volunteer. If you want to volunteer go to Louisana, not to a law office. Incidentally, it doesn't take a crystal ball to plan for a future, it takes common sense. Perhaps had I volunteered I could have had my head up my ass too.

3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you're looking for names, you can call the previous poster Pros because he'll take it any way he can get it as long as it pays. Pros, what's it like working in a PI firm? Do you remember the day you first sold out or were you just born bitter? Have fun driving your Mercedes on the merry-go-round of misery on your way to your 3rd divorce. Some of us actually want to like what we do for a living. It's a good thing the lawyer mills can churn out 1000's of you a year to file the frivolous class actions and clog the courts.

4:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Going to the ACLU is selling out. What they do is not public interest, but publicity. They like to pick and choose their cases so that when they take the moral high ground the rest of us can have altitude sickness.

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, for the sake of clarity, I will label myself anonymous #1, (the aggresively personal)

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

M. I have written extensively on life organization and appreciate your post A friendly rebuttal. as it supports my research. Thanks. Nathan

3:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

M., I'm hunting around for stuff on personal organization and this on A friendly rebuttal. has been interesting. I'm developing a course for personal organization. Nathan

7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say that I've sent some notes I gathered from your blog including A friendly rebuttal. for research on organize help which I'm helping with, with so thanks a lot M.. Anny.

10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say that I've sent some notes I gathered from your blog including A friendly rebuttal. for research on organize information which I'm helping with, with so thanks a lot M.. Anny.

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say that I've sent some notes I gathered from your blog including A friendly rebuttal. for research on how to organize clutter which I'm helping with, with so thanks a lot M.. Anny.

1:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post M. I'm working with the writer of this course for life organization and A friendly rebuttal. has helped so thanks. Anny

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home