Sunday, April 30, 2006

Awful Feels Softer


"I just want you to know that, when we talk about war, we're really talking about peace."
--The Decider


And you should know by now that when we talk about "tomorrow" here at Unemplawyed, we're really talking about "next month." FYI.

Thanks, as always, for visiting. May I offer you some ketchup (note the made-in-Amurrica spelling) with yer frrreedehm fr-eyes? Better yet, why don't you sample some fresh, sharp, finely-aged Neil Young?

Man. Neil. Yeah, I think that aneurysm actually made him even better, if that's possible. Seriously, it's about time somebody got this angry. Especially someone who is able to put a name on evil (see the 100%-red-state-approved "Let's Roll") and then go on to apply the same unforgiving lens to the best and most unashamedly straightforward protest song on the only mainstream protest album yet to be released in these accursed times--and really, really mean it (just as sincerely as he means the heavenly reclaiming of "America the Beautiful" he caps the record with) both times. Read both sets of lyrics and give this new one a serious listen (especially "Looking for a Leader") before you write him off as just another hate-blinded Bush-burner. It's nothing new, anyway: He's pretty much had the same message for the past forty years. Now if his hoarse preaching were just about 30% catchier, it might manage to catch on with someone who's not already in the choir. Well, whatever. Gotta take what we get, these days.

New business:

The shot above is only a small portion of the actual panorama (taken directly from their website) available from every window of the firm I interviewed with last week on the Charles. I hadn't actually previously considered "the view" as one of the factors to be weighed in looking at places to work, but I kind of have to after this experience. It was hard to be objective about everything I was being told about the place as my eye kept drifting back to the window.

Nice place, though. Solid mid-sized firm with a good general practice and immediate needs. It was easily the longest interview I've ever had, ever (about an hour), and I know I'm jinxing it just by mentioning it here, but I couldn't help it.

Oh, and I'm also writing law school study aids for some upstart New York textbook publisher. Sounds fun, I know, but it's mostly just like getting paid to care (a lot) about law school classes that you really never needed to study for. Gotta wonder what kind of a person is going to buy--let alone use--the pabulum I'm churning out here, though. Seriously, if you need me to hold your hand and walk you through every case in your professional responsibility casebook (let alone if you're actually READING every case in your professional responsibility casebook), you've got bigger problems than I can help you with. But I've already said too much.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know how you feel about the view. I had never thought much about it, and then got to work in a building on the water in Anacortes, WA. The water, boats, natural light, bald eagles that (no kidding) would fly straight toward the windows before heading up to perch on the roof to watch for fish in the water, which we then got to see them catch. It was freakin' amazing. If work got too stressful, you could walk to the window and sort of "get away from it all" without being more than 10 feet from your desk. It should have replaced "Accidental Death or Dismemberment Insurance" on the list of benefits for the job, as it was actually useful.

Now I'm in a cubicle in a basement. I still stand to make $20,000 if my leg get chopped off at work though.

7:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, views can really lift you up on crummy days. Of course, you could also just put on a pair of headphones, close your eyes, and listen to some of that Neil Young.

Seriously, I miss having someone around who will introduce me to cool new eclectic music. I'm glad I ran across your blog! I'll drop by often. I'll expect daily posts from now on <snicker>. ;)

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home