Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Just about ready to sell out...

Interviewed today at an insurance defense firm downtown. Insurance defense is much more interesting stuff than i'd ever given it credit for--mostly dealing with frauds, liars, and truth-stretchers (that would be the plaintiffs, not the lawyers)--described as being a sort of "private D.A." with a lot of independence, my own office with windows, and opportunity for a *lot* of experience packed into a short amount of time. That's the sanitized version, anyway. Who knows. I'm sure there's a reason that most people in this field don't do it for more than a couple of years.

Here's a look into the market: Today's firm received over 100 resumes in 2 days, including one from a barred attorney who has been unemplawyed for over a year. Basically, I was warned that he'd take someone with my qualifications who is already at the bar if they came through the door first, but that's not likely to happen since he did note "no experience necessary" in the ad.

And then there was the pancake story. Maybe I'll post that tomorrow.

He wants me to send a couple of writing samples and call him when I've got my bar results; he thinks the job will still be open then, and i take that to mean that I'm in consideration. But I'm still new to this whole legal interview thing: for all I know, it was a polite kiss-off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home